The Council of Ontario Drama and Dance Educators (CODE) invites all Drama and Dance Artists and Educators to attend this year’s CODE Conference, Think Global: Drama and Dance being held at Nottawasaga Inn Resort, October 19th – 21st, 2012. This year's conference focuses on the universal nature of drama and dance, and its power to inspire and promote global responsibility and awareness.
Read more to get a sneak peek of conference highlights, including workshops, showcases, keynote speaker information and more! Our conference site goes live early May 2012.
Attention all Artists and Educators! The Council of Drama and Dance Educators is looking for workshop presenters for our 42nd annual conference Think Global: Drama and Dance! This year's conference focuses on the universal nature of drama and dance and its power to inspire and promote global responsibility and awareness. By making real-world connections through the arts to the issues affecting our increasingly-complex world, students will increase their understanding of themselves and the world around them. Workshop themes will include:
- Creating and developing a unit of study focused on issues of globalization and citizenship, social justice, environmental issues and/or socio-economic issues, and/or equity and diversity, from pre-planning to implementation to assessment and evaluation
- Exploring dance and drama from diverse communities and cultures (e.g. world dance forms, First Nations, Metis and Inuit cultures)
- Exploring environmental and/or social justice issues through drama/dance in a school or community setting (e.g., working with at-risk populations, using drama and dance to explore issues of poverty, the impact of trade on world nations and the environment, the Occupy Wall Street movement, etc.)
- School and community-based organizations using the arts as a tool for social activism and awareness
- Real-world and cross-curricular connections of drama and dance to other subjects (e.g. integrated arts, social sciences, science, geography, mathematics, health, etc.)
- Developing students’ financial literacy and critical literacy through the arts
- Tools for elementary generalist teachers to incorporate authentic drama and dance experiences for students into their existing curriculum (integrated arts, cross-curricular lessons and units)
- Bringing dance and drama in to the Early Childhood Education classroom
Applications are due at midnight on Wednesday, February 29th!
The application can be found at: http://www.formstack.com/forms/dramafocus-code_proposals
If you have any questions, please contact the Conference Chair, Jennifer Goodine, at firstname.lastname@example.org
The workshop notes from the 2011 CODE Conference at Blue Mountain Resort have now been posted to our Resources page. They have all been titled starting with "CODE Conference 2011" followed by the workshop name and the name of the workshop presenters. Select the workshop filter to find them more easily or click here to view them now.
The following positions are to be elected in 20011 at the Annual General Meeting of CODE at Blue Mountain Resort in Blue Mountains, Ontario on Sunday, October 23rd, 2011. All Management Board positions are up for election and cover a two year term: Conference Chair, Publications Chair, Communications Officer, Membership Officer, Drama Liaison, Dance Liaison, Metro Toronto Rep, Central East Rep, Central West Rep, Eastern Rep, Western Rep, Northeastern Rep, Northwestern Rep, Mid-Northern Rep. For a detailed description of these positions, please see the CODE By-Laws and at the CODE table at the conference.
Download the nomination form if you are interested in serving on the board.
October 21-23rd, 2011 CODE Conference REACH: Drama and Dance Beyond the Classroom -- Registration Now Open!
Registration is now open for CODE's 41st Annual Conference REACH: Drama and Dance Beyond the Classroom. This unique event promises to provide top-notch professional development to teachers and artists through hands-on workshops, showcases, networking opportunities and more!
Read on for more highlights, or to register today click the REACH icon on the right hand side of our website's main page. . .