Students work in small groups for their final study. Each study includes dance, poetry, and music (live sounds or on tape/CD). This enables students to explore each art form and communicate their ideas as a collective. Leadership skills, co-operation, and sensitivity are encouraged in a healthy, safe, and non-competitive atmosphere.
- Demonstrate the application of the elements of dance with the use of a source to develop a dance piece.
- Prepare chart paper/newsprint and writing materials for Visual Arts chart.
- Prepare observation materials and final group project.
- Prepare various soundscapes and music sources for students to use in compositions.
Minds On (Approximately 15 minutes)
- Lead students in a dance warm-up. A warm-up should be done in every class to help focus group activities (e.g., follow the leader warm-up in groups done to music).
Action! (Approximately 45 minutes)
- In small groups, students use the poem, Running Song and express it through drawings, new word arrangement, sound collage/effects, voice, etc.
Use Your Imaginations
- Use one choreographic or compositional form.
- Use at least three manipulations.
- Create a 2-4 minute piece, using dance, music, and poetry.
Consolidation (Approximately 10 minutes)
- Create a visual collage to accompany your piece. This is a visual interpretation of your groups’ work. Paper, chalk, crayons, drawings, magazine pictures, etc., can be used in the creation. Anything is possible! Have fun!
- Students record their process and learning in their journals (this is largely self-directed).
- Facilitate a discussion on the challenges of working as a team (this discussion may also be another entry for their journal).
- Students complete a self-assessment of their process (BLM#7).